Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Musings on Friendship with God

Sometimes I question it when people talk about how “God is my best friend” and so on. C’mon, we’re talking about the timeless, boundless Supreme Being of the Universe here and you want to reduce him to your pen pal, your buddy? But then last night I read Romans 5 and saw again that indeed it is God’s desire to be our “friend.”

“But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. . . . . we were restored to friendship with God . . .” (Romans 5:8, 10a)

On Sunday at Blackhawk Ministries, Kelly Byrd spoke briefly about Genesis 3:8, where Adam and Eve “heard the Lord God walking about in the garden, so they hid themselves.” He pointed out that Adam and Eve knew God well enough to recognize the sound of his footsteps and Kelly said God created man because he wanted to have someone to take walks with in the garden. God is relational.

“Friendship with the Lord is reserved for those who fear him . . . .” (Psalm 25:14a). So friendship with God is entirely appropriate but not necessarily something to be assumed or taken for granted.

I sometimes talk to God like he is just an old friend but I still feel like sometimes that's really inappropriate. I guess I just need to keep working on this relationship!

No comments: