Sunday, March 09, 2008

On a Mission

Last year, as president of PNACAC, I led the board through a rewriting of our association mission statement. In that process, we discussed the fact that a mission statement can be something you measure every activity and opportunity against. It is a prioritization tool. In working through that process, I began to think that it would be nice to have a personal mission statement but I didn't have time to really work on something like that, plus it's just a little too touchy-feely for me.

A few months ago, I was asked to speak to a group of student leaders at Taylor University Fort Wayne and I agreed to do so. Now the date of that speaking engagement is creeping up on me and I need to figure out what I'm going to say to these students. This past week, I thought some more about the idea of a personal mission statement but I realized I couldn't very well challenge them to do something I haven't done myself so yesterday I talked with Jeannette a bit about it and came up with the following:

My Mission Statement

I am a Christ-follower who seeks to glorify God
by caring for my family,
by elevating Christian higher education,
by serving others through connecting them to resources
that help them achieve their goals,
and by acting with compassion and integrity.

Palmer H. Muntz

I'm sure I'm not living up to that mission statement fully but I hope it'll provide some direction as I face decisions about where to invest my energy and resources.

No comments: