Sunday, February 04, 2007

23 Years


February 4, 1984. Twenty-three years ago today, Jeannette and I walked the aisle at Bethany Baptist Church in Salem, Oregon.

I had planned for us to spend our anniversary in Denver since I was going there for PNACAC meetings this weekend. Unfortunately, Jeannette didn't think she could afford the extra time off. So this anniversary I'm sitting in a Marriott watching the Super Bowl and she's watching a movie with Jordan and Phillip. Oh well.

In February 1984, I'm not sure we could have imagined what the next two decades would be like. Kids . . . moves . . . travel . . . growing in our relationship and other ways. It hasn't always been easy but we've persevered. I know that I've been incredibly fortunate to have her for my partner . . .
  • She's a great mom to our four kids and a we make a good parenting team.
  • I have some friends whose wives would never consider leaving their home towns. Jeannette would certainly prefer to be in the Salem area and in the Northwest, but she's let me drag her to Spokane and even all the way to Kentucky, and I know she is willing to do whatever seems to be best for our family and my career.
  • We've had some great trips together. She knows that I love to travel and I'll always remember our trips to Southern California and Florida early in our marriage, our Disneyworld vacation with the Parishes, our cruises and, of course, the trip to China.
  • She balances me out. Our strengths and weaknesses very much tend to be opposites. That absolutely can make things hard at times, but it's really a good thing in the long run. I'm a better person because of Jeannette.
Happy 23rd Anniversary, Jeannette. I love you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! And many, many more wonderful years to come!

Blessings,
Andrew and Mignon Cannon

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

I was there, with my little baby, Ryan, 23 years ago! (And in the wedding too! :-) Congratulations you two! We love you, love, Sandi and Dan Mortinson